Thursday, November 1, 2007

Monkey Do

I must admit, he told me he was an a-hole

Within the first week we hooked up

So it's not like I can get mad

When he acts like a monkey's nut

Lord help me! When I used to say "moneky"

He would throw that race card out

Like my light skin removes my blackness

(until I brought the black girl right on out)


He was funny with his ways

A gentle giant, if you ask me

Not much of a talker

Said there really wasn't any need


So I began to consider his silence as golden

And his words either as feathers or spears

But no matter how much I tried to love him

I couldn't break through any of his fears


I loved my gentle giant

But I told him, too, that when I love, I love hard

One day our worlds just took separate paths

And tore our world apart


I no longer see him as an a-hole

No matter how he acts

I understand him more now

And I'll always have his back.
Copyright ©2007 Attica Lundy

No comments: