Thursday, November 1, 2007

Vows

He was married to his wedding band

And, he could easily remove the ring and be a brand new man

Didn't want the responsibilities of the vows

Pushed her away whenever she reminded him of them

She cried alone

Each night and day

He scorned her

And made her pay

For what?

Her sins did not amount to her penance

He chose to pushish her

But the wrong was done by him

She called me, crying

I hated him for that

She called me 'cause she wanted to die

So I talked her back to life

She needed him

But he's in the arms of another

She wanted him

But he's gone away for now.

The next day she called me

Found a number in his pocket

She dialed it

And it was a hotel right around the corner

No clues to the room

The front desk didn't know of him

No car parked outside

It could have been a day ago

Why is this happening?

She asked me over and over again.

Why won't he come back home?

I said, I don't know, my friend...

She called me, crying

I hated him for that

She called me 'cause she wanted to die

But I talked her back to life

She needed him

But he's in the arms of another

She wanted him

But he's gone away for now.

The next day silence

Not a word from her

I called and called

But I got no answer

I went to find her

No car parked outside

The front door was opened

And so I took some steps inside

I searched the house

And found no one there

I sat on the sofa

Sleep was creeping up on me by now

The phone must have been ringing a long time

I finally heard it

I answered and told them nobody was home

That's when I heard it

A car was in the garage

Still groggy from my sleep

Took me a while to make it to the door

I opened the kitchen door

To get inside

Her car was there still running

And I saw the two of them inside.

Doors were locked, as they slept in the front seat

I realized something was wrong

And I banged on the door to wake them up

The garage was filled with gas

And I couldn't breath

I knew they were gone

It was so hard to believe

I ran back inside and got a hammer

I went back there and broke the drivers side window

Holding my nose and mouth with one hand

The other reached inside the car

I shook her but she did not move, only fell into his lap

I ran back inside and called 911

It was too late, their story was now done

She'd spiked his drink and made him sleep

Then put him in the car-so death would them part.
Copyright ©2006 Attica Lundy

No comments: